Thursday, May 26, 2011

May 26
Worked: 9:00-12:30, 2:00-4:00

The patient that had had Carpal tunnel got surgery on one of her hands. The surgery lasted a whole seven minutes long with local anesthesia. This surgery entails the doctor cutting the traverse carpal ligament. By cutting this ligament, pressure is released on the medial nerve. Obviously, the hand was all wrapped up, so you couldn't see anything, but I made sure that the patient would email me pictures once she is able to take off the wrap. There was bruising that went half way up to her elbow past the wrap. Unfortunely, she still has symptoms in the other hand and up into her shoulder because the symptoms move up the arm, which seems peculiar.
The rest of the morning consisted of seeing other patients that we had seen before, and mostly doing the same exercises as they normally have. Diane did have a phone call in the middle of the morning from an insurance company, and expressed some irritation with them because as she explained, the people working there have no medical knowledge, and do not know about patients' conditions, and how many times they will need to go to physical therapy. Fighting with insurance companies to let them allow patients to get more visits is something I feel like I see Diane doing a lot.
This afternoon, because I didn't have sports, I was able to stay for the rush of Proctor kids. I harrassed Sam Johnson to  let me take a few pictures of him for my exhibit next week, which only seemed fair after I was interviewed and put on video camera for him, and assisted some more injuries that I had never seen before. Tomorrow is my last day, how sad! This whole term has gone by so quickly..

No comments:

Post a Comment